Do we ever get any decent US country artists over here

This is the place for those rambling conversations about anything Country Music related.

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

dj7504

Do we ever get any decent US country artists over here

Post by dj7504 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:50 pm

I saw Martina McBride last year but other than that its been a no show over here, I prefer the more contempory sound of the likes of Miranda Lambert, Carrie Underwood, Darius Rucker etc etc. The old skool does nothing for me.

tim73

Post by tim73 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:17 pm

I don't think US artists routinely tour here as much as we'd like but there are a fair few that will come over. I missed Sugarland last year but in the last couple of years I've seen everyone from Steve Earle to Glen Campbell, Willie Nelson to Kris Kristofferson, Suzy Boggus to the old Crow Medicine Show. It's about, just usually means you need to keep a keener eye on who's coming over.
Born in the 70s & in my mind, still living there now!

dj7504

Post by dj7504 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:23 pm

Where do you find out? Its not well advertised, Would have loved to see Sugarland :( I only found out about Martina McBride as she was doing a TV interview about it.

Smudger
Supreme Member

Post by Smudger » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:45 pm

This is a good site: http://www.countrymusicfile.co.uk/
Click on Tours/Events

Moshe
Ultimate Member

Post by Moshe » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Both Toby keith & Taylor Swift played here, Ms swift is a frequent visitor.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)

foot-tapper
Supreme Member

Post by foot-tapper » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:07 pm

dj7504 wrote:Where do you find out? Its not well advertised, Would have loved to see Sugarland :( I only found out about Martina McBride as she was doing a TV interview about it.

People on this site have an eye on the ball and will usually post when good artists are about.
Also couple of mags which I buy "Maverick" and "Country Music People" have fairly comperhensive Tour Guides every month.
Ok maybe there is a lack of the really big names about but there is still some good performers coming over.
Have a bit of an open mind and go and see some of them - I think you will get a pleasant surprise at how good most of them are.
Happiness is a voyage - not a destination

tuffty76

Post by tuffty76 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:49 pm

its a great site that just had a look, shame its all in london as i would have LOVED to seen phil vassar but its just too expenisve for both of us.
never mind! will keep checking it.
cheers
lets set sail with captain Morgans....and never leave dry land...

Newthunderbird

Post by Newthunderbird » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:52 pm

Whoever arranges the tours for American acts frequently has no concept of Britian and Europe. I exchanges e mails with an executive at Gaylord back in the days when we had CMT over here.

He didn't believe that imported CDs cost £15 in the UK and was convinced they only cost $10 (about £6 at the time).

He couldn't understand that the standard tour of three venues;
King Tuts in Glasgow
A venue in Sheffield
The Borderline or 100 Club in London didn't constitute a real British tour to me.

He also spoke of "you Europeans" as though all of Europe was one country. This was before the Euro.

It wasn't an abnormal American view. I used to work for a US company that had three sales divisions, North America and Canada, South America and Rest of The World. Guess where Europe was placed.

kev
Ultimate Member

Post by kev » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Newthunderbird wrote:He also spoke of "you Europeans" as though all of Europe was one country. This was before the Euro.

Wonder if he was related to Kellie Pickler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANTDkfko ... re=related

:lol: Another reason to post this wonderful clip!!

dj7504

Post by dj7504 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:59 pm

yeskev wrote:
Newthunderbird wrote:He also spoke of "you Europeans" as though all of Europe was one country. This was before the Euro.

Wonder if he was related to Kellie Pickler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANTDkfko ... re=related

:lol: Another reason to post this wonderful clip!!

What a dizzy b**ch, well she fits the typical blonde mould. Great post, never saw that before :D

Moshe
Ultimate Member

Post by Moshe » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:05 pm

Was she a Geography Teacher before becoming a singer?
She seems to have heard that French and europe are in some way related, but not sure how!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)

kev
Ultimate Member

Re: Do we ever get any decent US country artists over here

Post by kev » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:07 pm

dj7504 wrote:I saw Martina McBride last year but other than that its been a no show over here, I prefer the more contempory sound of the likes of Miranda Lambert, Carrie Underwood, Darius Rucker etc etc. The old skool does nothing for me.

Next week - Tom Russell on Monday and Raul Malo on Thursday!! Nice!!

dj7504

Post by dj7504 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:23 pm

I've just watched the Kellie pickler clip again, I think the funny part is she just keeps digging herself deeper.

I don't really know alot about Kellie, the first time I saw her she was prancing around with Taylor Swift in Brad Paisleys video for Online and I thought WOW very nice :D and then I saw that clip and it killed it for me :cry:

lo&m

Post by lo&m » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:24 pm

I've seen that Kellie Pickler clip a few times before. At first I thought "what a lamebrain. She probably has a hard job tying her own shoelaces". But now I wonder if she is just playing a role here. Maybe the dumb blonde act is just that, an act.

The main purpose of the show is entertainment, right ? What could be more entertaining than seeing a cute blonde messing up on national TV and being shown up by a 10 year old. And Foxworthy is a professional comedian. He's always going to have a few funny quips ready. Maybe the two of them had it all planned out in rehearsal. We may never know.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.

ROGER HUMPHRIES

Post by ROGER HUMPHRIES » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:32 pm

In the mid 80's Max Troy Barnes (now a very successful songwriter) was playing guitar with Joe Sun's band and when we were in Europe he asked me one day, "Is Holland a city?"

Around that time, US servicemen stationed over here & in Germany would regularly tell you that they couldn't wait to get home to "the world" (America) ........