Bunkhouse or Americana

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Bunkhouse or Americana

Postby Juke831 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:07 pm

The Globe Hotel in Guisborough stills hosts Country nights, no dancing just pure listening skills required. This club started in 1969 and is still going. No paid acts appear any more but in the area there's a wealth of pros and and ex pros who turn up and rattle off a couple of songs, sometimes we can end up with 15 or 20 acts. Its quite popular and takes place first tues every month pure acoustic instruments, every 3rd tues is with amplified instruments.

Just thought I would let you know if your in the north east, remember Guisborough
Juke831

Re: Bunkhouse or Americana

Postby lo&m » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:24 pm

I think there's a country/americana night in Marske in Cleveland. Don't know anything about it. I was told that it wasn't part of the 'country club' circuit but nothing else. I don't really know if it exists or not. Do you know anything about it? Has it showed up on your radar?

There is a singer's night in Loftus. I do know that. suspended for the summer but re-starting later in the year. And a mini festival at Roxby in July. Not proper 'country' dos though, general acoustic music.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby Juke831 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:07 pm

The Country Night at Marske Cricket Club is a seaonal event. It is run by Dave and Sue of Kellys Country. It will run from Oct to April, basically when the caravan season is closed. This also runs on a similar vein to the Bunkhouse or Americana in Guisborough every month. In other words there are no booked acts. Olds pros and not so pros turn up and depending on how many there are depends on how many songs they will do or how many times they will be allowed up. One act will be selected to finish off the night with 5 or 6 songs. The last time I was there acts only got up once and were only allowed two songs. This is because there are that many acts that turn up it creates a full night of entertainment. At the end of the season (April) any money raised is normally donated to a number of local charities. Can't remember but I think this is either once a fornight or just once per month, normally on a Friday and full to busting by 8 pm. Quite often a lot of this is uploaded to youtube. This a listening event. Line dancers do not normally attend.
Juke831

Postby CountryRex » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:28 pm

I'm in Leeds so will make a note of these.
CountryRex

Newbie Member

Postby lo&m » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:44 pm

This sounds like a good day out. http://www.kirkstall-festival.org.uk/ Been there?
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Return to Country Clubs and Venues