Scott Walker

This is the place to post obituaries

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

kev
Ultimate Member

Scott Walker

Post by kev » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:12 am

I was sad to hear of the death of Scott Walker. I know that he had his biggest success as part of The Walker Brothers but it was his Jacques Brel covers which really appealed to me, I loved the arrangements especially. He recorded a couple of Brel tracks on each of his first 4 albums, which were later compiled on the imaginatively titled "Scott Walker Sings Jacques Brel"! :lol: Wonderful stuff!

"Jackie" is probably the best known of the Brel but I also really liked "Mathilde". OK, so the lyrics don't make a great of sense (to me, anyway) but that voice and those arrangements ... Wow!!

Moshe
Ultimate Member

Re: Scott Walker

Post by Moshe » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:06 pm

I loved Scott Walker's solo albums, especially the Brell songs. I have heard a numnber of artistes singing Brell, but to me Scott Waler's interpretrations remain the best.
I love the lines from Jacky :"If I could be for just one little hour
Cute, cute, cute in a stupid-ass way".
The way Scott siungs it is classic
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)

kev
Ultimate Member

Post by kev » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:48 am

Moshe wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:06 pm
I loved Scott Walker's solo albums, especially the Brell songs. I have heard a numnber of artistes singing Brell, but to me Scott Waler's interpretrations remain the best.
I love the lines from Jacky :"If I could be for just one little hour
Cute, cute, cute in a stupid-ass way".
The way Scott siungs it is classic
Have a listen to Rod McKuen's Brel covers. I've enjoyed these over the years too, though his take seems to be a bit smoother than Walker's. McKuen died a few years back and I posted some stuff about him on this thread: http://www.countrymusic.org.uk/communit ... en#p133781

Lots of 60s/70s artists seemed to have a thing for Brel. Remember Terry Jack's big hit with "Seasons in the Sun"? When you start hearing other versions you begin to realise how dull his take is! :lol: Brel worked a lot with McKuen to produce English translations of his songs, and these tend to be the ones that acts record - Bowie did "Port of Amsterdam", Alex Harvey did "Next". I read somewhere that Walker started to record Brel after his French girlfriend played the originals and translated the lyrics, I also read that Brel wrote some of the songs with Walker in mind. Lots of different stories! Either way, I really enjoy Brel's songs - both in English and French (Belgian? Is there a difference?). The BBC showed a great documentary about Brel a few years back, it might be on youtube somewhere - worth a look!

Moshe
Ultimate Member

Post by Moshe » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:11 am

I think Rod McKuen had a UK TV show back in the day. I more recently saw him in a guest appearance off the original "Dolly" TV show from the early Seventies. The "Dolly" TV series was typical of TV in those days, but the outfits were great! The best of those shows was the one with Linda Ronstadt & Emmylou as guests, that was years before they did the Trio album!
Back to brell, I remember Terry Jack's "Seasons In The Sun". I thought it was very weak. Poor interpretation.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)