'Whitey' Schafer

This is the place to post obituaries

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

lo&m

'Whitey' Schafer

Post by lo&m » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:16 pm

Sanger D. 'Whitey' Shafer, who passed away on January 12, 2019. He was 84. He was responsible for some of the most significant country songs of the last forty years, including I Just Started Hatin’ Cheatin’ Songs Today (Moe Bandy), Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind (George Strait), All My Ex’s Live in Texas (George Strait), I Never Go Around Mirrors (Lefty Frizzell, Keith Whitley), That’s the Way Love Goes (Johnny Rodriguez), and I Wonder Do You Think of Me (Keith Whitley), among many others.

Sanger D. 'Whitey' Shafer was born on October 24, 1934 into a musical family just outside Whitney, Texas. His mother and father sang in the Stamps Blue Jackets, a satellite quartet from the Stamps School of Music in Dallas. His mother played piano and liked to showcase both his and his sister’s singing talents as young children. He grew up listening to western swing master Bob Wills and honky-tonk troubadour Ernest Tubb on the radio. He received his first guitar, from an uncle, while in junior high school. As a teenager he became a fan of Lefty Frizzell after hearing If You've Got the Money I've Got the Time on a jukebox, but his interest in music didn't immediately lead him into songwriting.

After working in an ironworks (where he gained his nickname) and a stint in the army, he arrived in Nashville, no money but a lot of songs. George Jones was one of the first to record some of Whitey's songs when he cut Between My House and Town and I’m a New Man in Town in 1967. Which kick-started his musical career.

Full obituary on Alan Cackett's website.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.