Dean Ford

This is the place to post obituaries

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

lo&m

Dean Ford

Post by lo&m » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:47 pm

Not country as such but there's a slight country connection.
Dean Ford's daughter announced the December 31st death of the frontman with Scottish guitar-pop group Marmalade on Facebook, writing that her father was “an amazing man, a gentle soul, extremely talented musician and a great father and Pop Pop to his only grandchild Connor... His music was his life and will now be his legacy for ever.”
Born September 5, 1945 as Thomas McAleese in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, Scotland, Ford formed his first band, the Tonebeats, at age 13.
By the time he left Clifton High School in Coatbridge at age 15, he had been gaining more exposure as a featured singer and at 16 joined local band the Cravats. His break came after a performance with the Monarchs at the Barrowland Ballroom in Glasgow in 1963, where he was seen by members of the popular east Glasgow band The Gaylords and subsequently invited to join the group.
Shortly thereafter, McAleese adopted his stage name (a moniker he coined by combining the names Dean Martin and Tennessee Ernie Ford) and The Gaylords were re-christened Dean Ford and the Gaylords. With hopes of achieving more commercial success, Ford and the band relocated to London in 1965 and became established in the nascent “swinging London” scene of the mid-60s, before changing their name to Marmalade.
Three years later, Marmalade became the first Scottish band to score a #1 hit on the UK Singles Chart with their cover of the Beatles’ "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" in December 1968.
They had another seven UK Top 10 hits, including "Reflections of My Life," co-written by Ford, which also reached the US Top 10 and sold over 2 million copies worldwide. The band toured with the Who and Ford duetted with country star Bobbie Gentry.
Ford expanded his songwriting credits, also co-writing "Rainbow", "My Little One", and "I See The Rain" and added instrumental support on harmonica and tambourine.
After several lineup changes, Marmalade was reduced to three band members by 1973, with Ford being the lone founding member.
Ford went solo after the band split and released a self-titled LP in 1975, produced by Alan Parsons. His collaboration with Parsons extended to a guest vocal appearance on Parsons' 1978 "Pyramid" album. Ford also recorded one-off tracks with former Marmalade band member Hugh Nicholson.
After his solo album failed to chart, Ford was subsequently released by his record label. Battling alcohol addiction, he moved to Los Angeles in 1979. Virtually unknown as a recording artist in the US, he was unable to cash in on his earlier success with Marmalade and his alcohol dependency forced him to essentially drop out of the organized music business.
He then worked as a limousine driver to stars including Michael Jackson, Tom Waits, Susan Sarandon and Bob Dylan, as well as delivering pizza and flowers. With the help of Alcoholics Anonymous, Ford was sober by 1986. “The only thing that spoiled my life was alcohol,” he said in a 2015 interview. “I spent a lot of money on alcohol. And drinking took me away from what I should be doing.”
He turned to music again by appearing in small clubs and open-mic venues. He admits his royalties from "Reflections of My Life" keep him financially afloat.
Ford did not completely sever ties to his musical contemporaries. In 2003 he teamed up with a revamped The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, participating in an album tribute by well-known Scottish musicians to Glaswegian Frankie Miller, a fellow artist recovering from a brain hemorrhage. His most recent collaboration was with former Badfinger guitarist Joe Tansin in 2012, including recording a notable latter day version of his biggest success, "Reflections of My Life"
With the support of crowdfunding, Ford completed production of a second solo album of original material entitled "Feel My Heartbeat." His solo projects are currently available on CD through his official Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MusicHi ... 145398107/
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.

Smudger
Supreme Member

Re: Dean Ford

Post by Smudger » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Dean Ford released "This Scottish Heart", a 30 track CD in November 2018 - not revamps of Marmalade hits either, although he does do an acoustic version of "Reflections". Great song!