Curly Putman

This is the place to post obituaries

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Post Reply
User avatar
lo&m
Moderator
Posts: 7421
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:34 pm
Location: Desolation Row

Curly Putman

Post by lo&m » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:11 am

Songwriter Claude 'Curly' Putman, who wrote hits including Green, Green Grass of Home and D.I.V.O.R.C.E, has died. Putman, who was 85, was best known for Green, Green Grass of Home, which he wrote in 1965. It been recorded by dozens of artists including Tom Jones, Porter Wagoner, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Bobby Bare, Kenny rogers and of course, Elvis. He also penned Dolly Parton's first chart single Dumb Blonde in 1967, while D.I.V.O.R.C.E was a number one for Tammy Wynette the following year. And country star George Jones had a big hit with He Stopped Loving Her Today.
He has a road named after him. Alabama State Route 65 in North Alabama, as well as a community park in his home town of Princeton, Alabama.

Curly Putman's other greatest hits included:

My Elusive Dreams - David Houston and Tammy Wynette (1967)
Blood Red and Going Down - Tanya Tucker (1973)
It's a Cheating Situation - Sonny Throckmorton (1979)
Baby, I'll Be Coming Back for More - TG Sheppard (1980)
Do You Want to Go to Heaven? - TG Sheppard (1980)
War Is Hell on the Homefront Too - George Jones (1982)
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.

User avatar
Moshe
Ultimate Member
Posts: 10124
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:14 pm
Location: London

Re: Curly Putman

Post by Moshe » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:15 pm

A very talented songwriter.
I always thought his song "Blood Red and Going Down" quite bizarre. The narrator (a young girl (Tanya Tucker) witnesses her father killing her mother and says "At times like these, a child with tears
Never knows exactly what to say".

Blimey!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)

Smudger
Supreme Member
Posts: 2600
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:38 am

Re: Curly Putman

Post by Smudger » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:45 am

Moshe wrote:A very talented songwriter.
I always thought his song "Blood Red and Going Down" quite bizarre. The narrator (a young girl (Tanya Tucker) witnesses her father killing her mother and says "At times like these, a child with tears
Never knows exactly what to say".

Blimey!
Yeah, he didn't really write many jolly songs, did he...................?

kev
Ultimate Member
Posts: 6679
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:55 am

Re: Curly Putman

Post by kev » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:58 am

Smudger wrote:
Moshe wrote:A very talented songwriter.
I always thought his song "Blood Red and Going Down" quite bizarre. The narrator (a young girl (Tanya Tucker) witnesses her father killing her mother and says "At times like these, a child with tears
Never knows exactly what to say".

Blimey!
Yeah, he didn't really write many jolly songs, did he...................?
Doesn't look like the life and soul of the party ...

Image

User avatar
Moshe
Ultimate Member
Posts: 10124
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:14 pm
Location: London

Re: Curly Putman

Post by Moshe » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:02 pm

kev wrote:
Smudger wrote:
Moshe wrote:A very talented songwriter.
I always thought his song "Blood Red and Going Down" quite bizarre. The narrator (a young girl (Tanya Tucker) witnesses her father killing her mother and says "At times like these, a child with tears
Never knows exactly what to say".

Blimey!
Yeah, he didn't really write many jolly songs, did he...................?
Doesn't look like the life and soul of the party ...

Image
And just out of shot is the bottle of Jack Daniels.

Still, a very talented guy. When I was young I had a vinyl LP of Tanya Tucker's Greatest Hits I listened to continuously. This was the early Tanya Tucker, and she recorded most of those songs when she was about 13. "Blood red and Going Down" was one of the most morbid, but all were probably a bit racy for a 13 year old to sing. The most family friendly song was one about her mum having sex with a handsome stranger. "I wish I knew the man who turned my mama on/ he must have been a hell of a man, 'cos mama was a lady don't you know". I still love that song.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)

User avatar
lo&m
Moderator
Posts: 7421
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:34 pm
Location: Desolation Row

Re: Curly Putman

Post by lo&m » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:10 pm

I had that same LP.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.

Post Reply