Roland Janes

This is the place to post obituaries

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Roland Janes

Postby lo&m on Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:35 am
IP:

Not a well known name to be sure. I hadn't heard of him till I read about his passing today. But I think he deserves a mention on this site.
Janes with Jerry Lee Lewis
Roland Janes may not be a name that most have heard, but they have certainly listened to his music and, to those in Memphis, he was a legend. Janes died on Friday afternoon at Methodist University Hospital where he was being treated in the aftermath of a heart attack. He was 80.
After a stint in the Marines during the Korean War, Janes settled in Memphis where he started playing for artists at a small recording studio. It was there that he met Jack Clement who brought him to Sam Phillips at Sun Records. Janes became the house guitarist at Sun in 1956, a position he would hold for seven years. His guitar can be heard on the majority of tracks cut by Jerry Lee Lewis, including Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On and High School Confidential, along with other Sun artists like Charlie Rich and Sonny Burgess. He also was a member of Billy Lee Riley's Little Green Men.

Following this, he went on to a career as producer, recording engineer and teacher of recording techniques.
http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2013/10/passings-roland-janes-sun-records.html
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Return to Gone, but not forgotten