JJ Cale

This is the place to post obituaries

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

JJ Cale

Postby lo&m on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:38 pm
IP:

They called him the breeze.

US singer-songwriter JJ Cale has died of heart attack at the age of 74. An announcement on his personal website said he had passed away at a hospital in La Jolla, California, on Friday. Born in 1938, John Weldon Cale adopted the name JJ Cale to avoid being confused with John Cale of the Velvet Underground.

Born in Oklahoma, Cale helped create the Tulsa Sound, which combined blues, rockabilly, and country. He became famous in 1970, when Eric Clapton covered his song After Midnight. In 1977 Clapton also popularised Cale's Cocaine. The two worked together on an album which won a Grammy award in 2008.

Building up on the success of After Midnight, he recorded Naturally - the first of his 14 studio albums. He pioneered the use of drum machines, and was famous for his personal laid-back singing style. However Cale always described himself as a songwriter rather than a singer, and his songs tended to enjoy greater success when performed by others - notably Tom Petty, Santana and Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Re: JJ Cale

Postby Space Cowboy on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:49 pm
IP:

Plus one.
Waylon Jennings.
" Don't take credit for what's written in the stars,
....... and don't apologise for who you are "
Space Cowboy
Supreme Member

Postby Space Cowboy on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:58 pm
IP:

It's a very sad thing for this site that lo&m put up this topic too so little response.

Waylon Jennings.
" Don't take credit for what's written in the stars,
....... and don't apologise for who you are "
Space Cowboy
Supreme Member

Postby kev on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:03 am
IP:

Interesting to read about the name change - I always thought he was the guy from Velvet Underground. I'm not particularly familiar with his music, apart from hearing other people's versions of "After Midnight", "Cocaine", and "Call Me the Breeze", so at least I can remember him as a great song writer!
kev
Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:46 am
IP:

Apart from "The Breeze" which still gets heard regularly in CMCs, my favourite J J Cale song is this one, covered by Brother Phelps. It used to get played a lot on CMT.
Smudger
Supreme Member

Return to Gone, but not forgotten