Rita MacNeil has died

This is the place to post obituaries

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Rita MacNeil has died

Postby livewirer on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:16 am
IP:

Acclaimed Cape Breton, Canada singer Rita MacNeil has died at age 68 from complications from an undisclosed surgery
Some of her most popular songs include, “Working Man,” “Flying on Your Own,” “Reason to Believe,” “I’ll Accept The Rose Tonight” and “Home I’ll Be.”

Born in Big Pond, N.S., on Cape Breton Island, MacNeil was one of eight children.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who was in London on Wednesday attending the funeral for former U.K. prime minister Maragaret Thatcher, said MacNeil was: "A great Canadian performer and icon."

“Working Man” was one of most popular tracks on Helen West's Country show on BBC Radio Cambridge receiving weeks of airplay
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, 2016 Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewirer
Supreme Member

Re: Rita MacNeil has died

Postby lo&m on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:28 pm
IP:

RIP Rita.

Working Man is a much loved song, and well known in the little patch of Yorkshire I call home. One of our local singers was at Lofthouse Colliery in 1973. Tears fill his eyes when he tells the story of that night and sings this song. I'll look him up tomorrow, tonight, I'll say "Farewell Rita" and reflect on how a good song can move people.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Return to Gone, but not forgotten