Empress of Blandings

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Empress of Blandings

Postby kev » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:53 pm

BBC news site:

Stars of the BBC comedy drama Blandings have been paying tribute to the programme's pig star, The Empress, who has died.

The Middle White sow, died last week just before the final episode of the series was broadcast.

Actor Timothy Spall who plays Lord Clarence Emsworth in the show told the BBC he was "very upset to hear of the passing of the poor old Empress."

"That was her stage name, I never knew her real name, but that doesn't mean I didn't have a lot of affection for her," he said.

"She was by far the most flatulent member of the cast and believe me, she had a lot of competition. :lol:

Actor Timothy Spall has paid tribute to The Empress. "At least she had a late life in showbiz which she enjoyed very much when she managed to wake up and I believe she had a luxurious life after her showbiz debut, as she stayed living in the castle. "

Noel Johnston had been looking after The Empress on behalf of production company Mammoth.

Mr Johnson said The Empress enjoyed sleeping up to 20 hours a day.

"She loved her food but she also loved her sleep. You could hear her snoring from 50 yards away," he said.

"As soon as you opened the door, she was up like a bolt because she knew the food was coming.

"The pigs kept surprising us, the other pig from the programme, Queenie, had ten piglets while we were filming which was a bit of a surprise as no one realised she was pregnant," he said.

kev

Ultimate Member

Re: Empress of Blandings

Postby Smudger » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:13 pm

Thank you for sharing this with us Kev!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:29 pm

Worth it for this line ...
"She was by far the most flatulent member of the cast and believe me, she had a lot of competition.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby kev » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:46 pm

The best thing that's been on telly for years! I loved that pig! :cry:
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:30 pm

New pig!! Hoorah!! Blandings is back on soon - with a new butler AND a new pig!

Timothy Spall says he is happy to welcome his new co-star to the series.

“Doris, who takes on the role of the Empress of Blandings, doesn’t know she is about to become a household name pig. Doris is new to the role and delivers every time,” he says. “The old pig was older and a bit more cantankerous – she didn’t really want to be in show business. But Doris and I have a good rapport. Clarence has a stick with a crook and I use it to scratch her back. That and all the extra cakes help.”

The friendship between Clarence and his pig is one element that made the first series of Blandings a Sunday teatime hit, averaging almost six million viewers per episode.

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:01 pm

A classic Wodehouse Blandings farce is currently on the radio.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jc440
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jh472
Waylon Jennings.
" Don't take credit for what's written in the stars,
....... and don't apologise for who you are "
Space Cowboy

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:40 am

Space Cowboy wrote:A classic Wodehouse Blandings farce is currently on the radio.

Thanks! I'll have to see if it's on the 'listen again' thing. I do enjoy Wodehouse in small quantities but find it a bit repetitive if you read too much, the Blandings stories particularly. There are a couple a few years apart where the plots are virtually identical! :lol: If you find mistaken identity and false beards funny, you're on to a real winner!

Got to be said though, some people love him! Look at this snippit from a customer review on amazon: "It is advisable not to read this book in public or they might cart you away. Even in private be forewarned of extensive internal injuries from laughing too hard". Hmm, it might raise a smile but 'internal injuries'?
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Waylon Jennings.
" Don't take credit for what's written in the stars,
....... and don't apologise for who you are "
Space Cowboy

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks SC! I listened to a few minutes this morning. The funniest thing is hearing the announcer introducing the book as being written in 1915, "Just before the start of the first world war"! He obviously lives in some sort of alternative universe! :lol:
kev

Ultimate Member

Return to Gone, but not forgotten