In other news today ...

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: In other news today ...

Postby CJ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:38 pm

lo&m wrote:Hair of the dog!

A man in New Zealand lost his sight after drinking vodka, but thanks to come quick thinking doctors and a €40 bottle of whiskey he regained his sight. We've all heard the expression 'blind drunk' before, well it actually happened to a guy from New Zealand who mixed his diabetes medication with some vodka and then went blind. Luckily for 65-year-old Denis Duthie his doctors knew exactly what to give him, that being a stiff whiskey. Duthie was celebrating his parent's 50th wedding anniversary when he literally blacked out. "I thought it had got dark and I'd missed out on a bit of time but it was only about half-past-three in the afternoon," he told The New Zealand Herald. "I was fumbling around the bedroom for the light switch but... I'd just gone completely blind."

'After rushing Duthie to hospital doctors told his wife to start saying her last goodbyes and it was only when they cut Duthie open for a better look did they realise what had happened. Apparently the vodka mixed with his diabetes medication causing formaldehyde poisoning. Thankfully, ethanol - the alcohol found in alcoholic drinks - can treat formaldehyde poisoning so doctors quickly rushed down to the off-licence and bought a €40 bottle of whiskey and fed it straight into his stomach. Five days later Duthie woke up completely cured. He's now using his newfound fame to warn other people off excessive drinking. "Curtail your drinking," he said to Stuff.co.nz. "Don't do what I did or else you'll be dead."

When did they change to the Euro in New Zealand?
CJ

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:04 pm

Story came via an Irish website quoting the kiwi one. Presumably they changed it for their readers.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby lo&m » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Remember that boyband, Busted, of a few years back?

UK singer Charlie Simpson last week braved challenging temperatures of -30 to earn a place in the record books, after playing a concert in one of the coldest populated places on Earth. The former Busted frontman entertained a small crowd of curious locals gathered in snowy Oymyakon, Siberia to set a new world record for coldest concert. In order to set the world record, Charlie had to play his set for a full 15 minutes, whilst only taking up to 30 second breaks between songs.

Renowned for being the coldest, permanently inhabited place on the planet, conditions in Oymyakon are so extreme that few visitors are able to bear more than five minutes out in the elements, making Charlie's achievement all the more impressive. The 27-year-old star travelled for four days alongside his three-strong support team to reach the remote village known as the 'pole of cold', taking in the infamous Kolyma Highway, or 'Road of Bones,' one of the most treacherous roads in the world. Nights were spent in the company of local villagers, who had kindly offered the team space to sleep in their homes. Charlie said, "This has been a trip of a lifetime and a gig unlike anything I thought I'd ever experience in my career. The town has no TV or radio, so they've had little to no contact with rock music before. This was definitely a world first in many respects!

"It was unbearably cold and playing guitar with gloves on wasn't an option. We had to pack hand warmers into my sleeves before the performance to keep my blood warm and stop my fingers from getting frostbite. It was hard for the whole team but the experience has definitely brought us all closer together and we're all firm friends now. The trip was tough, but it feels amazing to have set a world record."

Levison Wood, expedition leader and director of expeditionary company, Secret Compass, said, "There are all manner of things that can go wrong when travelling in conditions as freezing and remote as this, so hats off to Charlie for completing the record. We tried to prepare the team as much as possible with a few training sessions inside a giant freezer in the UK, but you can never recreate the real danger we faced whilst out in Siberia."

lo&m

Postby CJ » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:05 pm

Hmm, if he thinks that's tough, he should try some of the northern Working Mens Clubs!!! :lol: :lol:
CJ

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:55 pm

This weeks weather.

lo&m

Postby kev » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Looks like it's going to be raining meatballs!!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby lo&m » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:51 pm

lo&m

Postby lo&m » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:41 pm

lo&m

Postby lo&m » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:23 pm

lo&m

Postby Frenchgate Magic » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:07 pm

kev wrote:
foot-tapper wrote:Man finds dead bird in Tesco salad bag

A man was shocked to discover that his store-bought salad contained the skeletal remains of a dead bird.

The unpleasant finding was made as Paul Streeter, from Weare, Somerset, served a dinner of pizza and salad to his girlfriend Julia and three children on Saturday night.

To their horror a dead bird was laying amongst the baby rocket leaf salad which had just been bought from their local Tesco supermarket in Burnham-On-Sea on the same day.

Mr Streeter spoke of the horrifying discovery to Bristol 24/7. He said: “I couldn't believe my eyes. It was horrific. Julia was seconds away from eating it. The bird was emaciated and about four inches long. At first Julia thought it was a leaf and tried to separate it with her fork.

“Then she just screamed and went to be sick - she is a vegetarian too.”

Following the incident, the couple were offered compensation in the form of clubcard points by the store before Mr Streeter formally lodged a complaint to Tesco.

Yum!!

Don't buy a dead bird in your salad this christmas Kevi :!: :P
TAPPER'S CUCKOO, MAY ,70s

CAT'S BLACKBIRD

HIS "LOVE A DUCK"

AWFUL.
Frenchgate Magic

Supreme Member

Location: THE DONX ...ha ha, what do you mean ? It's where I'm at ...it's the cradle of exquisite men like me.

Postby lo&m » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:47 pm

lo&m

Postby lo&m » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Police officers in the West Midlands could be in the dog house after a police dog apparently filed a witness statement. The brief statement, on behalf of police dog Peach, read: "I chase him. I bite him. Bad man. He tasty. Good boy. Good boy Peach." The 'statement' was signed at the bottom with a print of the Alsatian's pawmark. It was reportedly written in response to a barrage of requests from the Crown Prosecution Service for an account from PC Peach on a crime, the Daily Mail reports. Officers are said to have become frustrated after they continually told the CPS that Peach was a dog. But it seems the joke report may have consequences as the force is now being investigated. "The matter will be investigated," DCI Julian Harper, from West Midlands Police, told Huffington Post
lo&m

Postby Frenchgate Magic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:44 pm

I've been bitten a few times by Moshe's "country dog",because it's alawys roaming about live and unleashed.
TAPPER'S CUCKOO, MAY ,70s

CAT'S BLACKBIRD

HIS "LOVE A DUCK"

AWFUL.
Frenchgate Magic

Supreme Member

Location: THE DONX ...ha ha, what do you mean ? It's where I'm at ...it's the cradle of exquisite men like me.

Postby lo&m » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:24 pm

Running Bare

Two lovers banned from seeing each other by their parents brought traffic to a standstill when they stripped off and threatened to leap from a bridge. The couple kept police and rescuers at bay for more than two hours as they stayed locked in a passionate clinch on a flyover 30ft above a motorway in China. "Our parents say we can't be together but we want to show people we have nothing to hide," they told a bemused crowd in Guangzhou, Guangdong province. We won't come down until everyone has seen how much we mean to each other and that our parents will never be able to pull us apart," they added.

'Bridge protests have become common in China, but public nudity is still considered scandalously shocking. "We waited for the high wind and the cold air to cool off their passion and eventually they gave themselves up. "Our biggest problem was blocking the traffic so motorists didn't drive into each other trying to get a better look," said a police spokesman
lo&m

Postby lo&m » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:47 pm

A homeless US man will soon have well over $150,000 (£98,000) after he returned an engagement ring to a woman who accidentally dropped it in his cup earlier this month. Sarah Darling's fiancé set up a website seeking donations for Billy Ray Harris, who frequently panhandles on Kansas City's Country Club Plaza. By Tuesday morning, more than 6,000 people had donated more than $148,000 to the fund. "I think in our world we often jump to like the worst conclusion, and it just makes you realise that there are good people out there," Ms Darling said.

'Mr Harris discovered the ring about an hour after Darling dumped spare change from her coin purse into his cup. She had taken off her ring earlier that day and put it with the coins. "The ring was so big that I knew if it was real, it was expensive," Mr Harris told KCTV. Ms Darling was upset when she realised the next day what she had done. She went back to Mr Harris, squatted beside him and told him that she might have given him something valuable. "'Was it a ring?'" he recalled asking her. "And she says, 'Yeah.' And I said 'Well, I have it.' " Ms Darling gave Mr Harris all the cash she had in her wallet at the time. "It seemed like a miracle," Ms Darling said. "I thought for sure there was no way I would get it back." In explaining why he did not keep the ring, Mr Harris said he had a religious upbringing. "My grandfather was a reverend," Mr Harris said. "He raised me from the time I was six months old and thank the good Lord, it's a blessing, but I do still have some character
lo&m

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics