TOP TEN ALBUMS OF 2017

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

TOP TEN ALBUMS OF 2017

Postby Moshe » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:35 am

OK, we are just about at years end of a truly odd year. But some great music was made!

Please post your picks of Top 10 Albums, Tracks, Concerts whatever here.

Here are my top 10 Albums, starting in traditional style, at the bottom.

10. CLOSE TIES- RODNEY CROWELL
9. YOUNGER NOW- MILEY CYRUS
8. BETTER THAN MYSELF- ALEX WILLIAMS
7.REPUTATION- TAYLOR SWIFT
6. A LONG WAY FROM YOUR HEART- THE TURNPIKE TROUBADOURS
5.THE NASHVILLE SOUND- JASON ISBELL
4.BEAUTIFUL TRAUMA- PINK
3.SWIMMING ALONE- LIZ ROSE
2. GOD's PROBLEM CHILD- WILLIE NELSON
1. THE VISITOR- NEIL YOUNG & PROMISE OF THE REAL

Over to you
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: TOP TEN ALBUMS OF 2017

Postby kev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:18 am

Very little from 2017 really impressed me, certainly not enough to make a top 10!! To be honest it's difficult to remember what came out when!! :lol: Saying that, I have bought some great music this year, it's just mostly stuff that came out in previous years that I haven't been able to get hold of. My favourite of the year of these older releases is Dave Alexander's "Alexander's Goodtime Band", which I had been after for a few years and finally managed to pick up when I saw him play in Texas in June. It's nothing particularly earth shattering, pretty bog standard western swing, but there's something about it that struck a chord with me! His performance in Wichita Falls, with the Big Texas Swing Band, is also my favourite live performance of the year - wonderful stuff!

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:48 am

If I had to choose a 2017 release, I would go with this one, "Heart of Steel" by Pee Wee Whitewing, who played steel guitar with Hank Thompson, amongst others. This CD has 19 studio tracks and 6 live recordings from his Brazos Valley Boys days. Wonderful stuff, really good western swing. Tracks to listen to here (I particularly recommend track 8, "All of Me" - wonderful instrumental section in the middle and a vocalist who sounds spookily like Willie Nelson in places!): https://www.reverbnation.com/peeweewhitewing/songs

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:42 pm

It’s been a poor year for me musically, I have bought so much new to me music, more than any other year but very little new music. My favourite has been the Miley Cyrus album, closely followed by Midland and Willie Nelson’s Gods Problem child. I did however get a lot for Christmas that I still haven’t listened to.
My issue with music at the moment is I am struggling to be catered for, at least that I can find. I don’t like the Thomas Rhetts and Walker Hayes of this word, or the Ballerinis. I am too old for that nonsense, but by the same token I find the bearded ones just too damn earnest and po faced. I like Brad Paisley, Kevin Fowler and The Bus Songs CD aside, Toby Keith. I like a little grown up country that makes me forget my worries. I am slowly running out of acts that meet that criteria.
All that aside, the Ags Connolly album has been great, Angaleena Presleys album was good. Any others I have forgotten at point of writing.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:20 pm

Another thing about 2017, after about 15 years of reading it I've just about given up on Country Music People! I just don't find it very interesting any more. When my online subscription lapses next month, that's it for me. Will probably glance at it in Smiths but don't expect to be buying it very often!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:57 pm

kev wrote:Another thing about 2017, after about 15 years of reading it I've just about given up on Country Music People! I just don't find it very interesting any more. When my online subscription lapses next month, that's it for me. Will probably glance at it in Smiths but don't expect to be buying it very often!

I have pretty much given up on country music magazines. I currently subscribe to "Country Music" but only because I got in on a special offer, 5 issues for £3 or something like that! Quite a good read, but doubt I'd subscribe for the full price. To their credit they do cover a wide range.

Back to albums, my absolute fave in any genre is Neil Young's new one, as I indicated earlier.
Albums which didn't make my Top 10, but I still rate- "Folk Hotel" by Tom Russell. Some good stuff. It starts out being a concept album centred round the Chelsea Hotel in NYC, but the thread gets lost somewhere along the way.
"AllThe Trouble"-Lee Ann Womack. Womack had one of my very fave country albums a few years back with "The Way I'm Living". Wonderful salasious country. The new album is pretty downbeat & sounds a bit grungey in places.
Just outside my Top 10 is !All American Made" by Margo Price. A strong collection of songs, but to me she is still best live
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:24 pm

PeterJD wrote:I like a little grown up country that makes me forget my worries. I am slowly running out of acts that meet that criteria.

What about these guys? Their album is full of good upbeat stuff!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:46 pm

They are excellent.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:55 pm

I thought Sons of Palomino rather cheessy for my tastes. In the range of mainstream country, I liked Midland and the Brothers Osbourne.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:07 am

Moshe wrote:I thought Sons of Palomino rather cheessy for my tastes. In the range of mainstream country, I liked Midland and the Brothers Osbourne.

It's certainly good to see bands getting attention for playing 'proper' country music after all that bro-country nonsense but none of those three moved me particularly. If I had to choose one of the current crop of 'old time' bands I think I would go with Casey James Prestwood and the Burning Angels - he certainly seemed to latch onto the sparkly suits before Midland turned up!! :lol: And anyone who can call an album "Honky Tonk Bastard World" can't be bad, eh?

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Dont get me wrong I don't want to listen to hilarious songs, I think Brad Paisley does a good mix, when he is good, of humour and romance.

I am going to give that a go though.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:44 pm

PeterJD wrote:Dont get me wrong I don't want to listen to hilarious songs, I think Brad Paisley does a good mix, when he is good, of humour and romance.

I am going to give that a go though.

Who you talking about? Prestwood?
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:31 am

Yes, doesnt seem too bad.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Ameripolitan fan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:18 am