"Nashville" Season 5

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

"Nashville" Season 5

Postby Moshe » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:28 pm

NASHVILLE- SEASON 4

Did anyone else catch the opening episode of season 4 of "Nashville" on Sky Living on Thursday night?
I thought it was superb, and will give my observations, but first I have a problem.

I am not a Sky subscriber, but Sky living is included in my Virgin package. So, i can watch the show when it airs Thursday 10PM (& repeated Tuesday 10PM). But I cannot watch it at any other time.

As regular viewers will know, so much happens in each episode, i need a second look. And i may not always be around at those times, (next thursday I will be at a Margo price concert).
Once available i will get the season 4 set (probably on i-tunes) but that won't be available till season end.

Anyway, how about the actual show? I won't go into details of what happened, just a few observations.
Juliet Barnes is on a career high with her Patsy Cline movie getting rave reviews, her new album looking to be huge & she appeares at a show singing live with Steven Tyler!
But in herself, she is in a bad way. Surounded by fake friends she drowns her sorrows by huge quantaties of drink & is in denial big time.
Meanwhile hubby Avery is holed up with his (& Juliet's) daughter at his parents place in Oklahoma. They talk to him about starting a new life there but, after soul searching he decides his home is still in Music City, with or without Juliet. And he has a not bad beard, but I am not a fan of beards at all. Still, he looks OK.

Not so Will Lexington. Having come out as gay & being dropped from from the Luke Wheeler tour, Will is in a deep funk & has grown an awful beard. Fortunately, by the end of episode he has shaved it off!
Meanwhile, Rayna James has her work cut out, with worries about Deacon, Deacon's sister still in a coma & Rayna's daughters' falling out over Rayner's ex, the crooked ex mayor now in jail. The little one, his biological daughter, says Teddy is innocent. Deacon's bilogical daugfhter wants nothing to do with Teddy!

Just another day in "Nashville"!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: "Nashville" Season 5

Postby lo&m » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:44 pm

The Steven Tyler appearance was real cringe-inducing stuff. I hope it was as embarrassing for him as it was for us. He couldn't have looked less interested if he tried. Turn up, deliver your lines, walk away counting your money. Some of the guest star moments work; some don't.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby Moshe » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:48 am

Yeah, not a very inspiring performance.
What do you think of his "country" album? I feel only a couple of songs on there. I did like, however, the duet he did with Carrie Underwood at either the CMA's or ACM's some years ago.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby lo&m » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:52 pm

Not what I'd call country. Red, White and You gets closest with a bro-country style and I wasn't too keen on that. Not for me, Clive.

But back to Nashville. It's a show that needs drama in the lives of it's characters. All the characters have the necessary drama going on with maybe one exception. Rayna herself. She's supposed to be the main protagonist but is she getting lost in her own show? Her last big act was dumping Wheeler at the altar, since then she seems to be just reacting to other people drama. What do you think, would we miss her if she wasn't there?
lo&m

Postby Moshe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:33 pm

Yeah, I suppose Rayna is one of the more "normal" well-balanced people in the show. Her drama seems to come through Deacon & her kids.
I would very much miss her if she went.
I think both Rayna and Juliet are essential to "Nashville" & Deacon is pretty close to being essential. I would miss Avery if he was out of the show. Will Lexington also presents an interesting angle.
I wish the script writers would lay off a bit on the drama with Juliet. Clearly she has mental health issues, but I think they are laying it on a bit thick & it is time for her to have a more stable period & have some happiness with Avery & their daughter.

I reckon in the future the scriptwriters will create more drama between Deacon & Rayna & also Rayna's older daughter,

I am very much enjoying the show & not missing Teddy! I reckon it is time they wrote Jeff out of the show, but they like to have a baddie in there.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:58 pm

Is this the worst version of "Crazy"?
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:33 pm

Moshe wrote:

No, I think this might be...............
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:01 pm

Smudger wrote:
Moshe wrote:

No, I think this might be...............

Yeah, that is pretty poor.

Sometimes I think Willie seems like he can't be bothered. He looks pretty rough there, too.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:40 am

Moshe wrote:NASHVILLE- SEASON 4
Did anyone else catch the opening episode of season 4 of "Nashville" on Sky Living on Thursday night?
I thought it was superb, and will give my observations, but first I have a problem.
I am not a Sky subscriber, but Sky living is included in my Virgin package. So, i can watch the show when it airs Thursday 10PM (& repeated Tuesday 10PM). But I cannot watch it at any other time.
As regular viewers will know, so much happens in each episode, i need a second look. And i may not always be around at those times, (next thursday I will be at a Margo price concert).
Once available i will get the season 4 set (probably on i-tunes) but that won't be available till season end.

I'm not a SKY or VIRGIN subscriber. The BBC Licence fee is expense enough for the amount of TV I watch but the radio is part of the deal.
I cannot watch SEASON 4 let alone think about SEASON 5 as a CMT subscriber!
The story lines were OK but it was for the music that hooked me in and bought tracks from previous soundtrack albums.

However there is nothing on The Music of Nashville (Original Soundtrack) [Season 4], Vol. 2 that appeals.
Doesn't surprise me the series wasn't renewed in the US as this album has flopped commercially.

I shall be watching the Nashville Episodes on WIKI

Episode 66 Season 4 No.1 "Can't Let Go" (originally broadcast in America Sept 23, 2015)

One month later the premiere begins with Rayna sad and sleeping alone leading viewers to believe that Deacon has died. Turns out that Deacon is alive. Beverly has had an aneurysm and is in a coma. Meanwhile, Juliette is on top of the world: she has a new album coming out soon, and her new movie is a big hit. Rayna is done with Juliette and officially drops her from Highway 65.
Avery has been staying in Ohio with his parents and is hurting, and seriously missing Juliette, when he texts her, she dismisses his message, ignoring him. Jeff is back to lying to Layla, and playing her, only to make money. Back in Nashville, Maddie & Daphne get letters from Teddy who is in jail. Maddie refuses to read hers, while Daphne reads hers and Maddie's, as she clearly misses Teddy. Later that night, at Juliette's concert, she is visited by Steven Tyler who surprises her, and they perform "Crazy" as a duet.
She also is visited by Rayna, who tries to help her, but is only yelled at by Juliette, and kicked out. Avery's parents offer to have him move to Ohio with them, which he later declines, saying Nashville is where his home is. Kevin and Will try to have a nice night out, but Will is getting yelled at by woman he has slept with, and can't take the pressure of being in the public eye. Meanwhile, Gunnar and Scarlett try to record together, but end up kissing each other, only for Scarlett to leave, saying she loves Caleb, and she records her part of their music by herself. While this is all happening, Beverly wakes up, with Deacon by her side.
At Rayna's house, Maddie comes down to find Daphne reading her letter from Teddy, they end up fighting with Maddie telling Daphne that Teddy is not innocent. As this happens, Deacon comes in and tries to break up the fight, only for Daphne to yell at him, saying that he is not her dad. She clearly misses Teddy and feels left out. While Juliette is out partying, she runs into Layla, where she tells her that Jeff does not love her, and only cares about her, leaving Layla sad. On Rayna's way home, she googles herself, much to find out that her label is a flop, just like Juliette had said, and that she is not having good luck at all with her label. Avery moves in with Will, and Gunnar, along with Cadence.
Scarlett sees Caleb and tells him that she loves him, and Juliette is shown missing Avery and Cadence, while looking at pictures of them.

Episode 66 Season 4 No.2 "'Til the Pain Outwears the Shame" (originally broadcast in America Sept 30, 2015)

Juliette appears on Live with Kelly and Michael to promote her new movie and album. When they show a picture of her, Avery and Cadence she starts to tear up. Luke meets with a PR adviser Gabriella Manning to deal with the whole Will coming out situation.
In efforts to save her label Rayna tries to find a big name artist. After getting the photos back from their album photo shoot Gunnar is not pleased when he sees that the photo has been photoshopped to make it where him and Scarlett are standing up close to each other. He knows that Scarlett won't like it either but she does end up liking it. Jeff goes to Avery and tells him to go see Juliette.
The two end up going home to talk and reconnect. Rayna wants to meets with a big named rocker named Markus Keen who's looking for a new label. Bucky doesn't think it will work because he's a rock artist. She later happens to be seated next to him on a flight to New York.
Over the course of the flight she smooth talks him about switching over to country, with his music he can be heard and also sign with her.
Deacon spends time with his sister in the hospital, Layla performs at the Bluebird, Daphne overhears some girls talking about Teddy and as well as making fun of her and Maddie.
Juliette leaves town without informing Avery and leaves her phone at home, on the jet Jeff gives her a new phone.
She asks that no one has the number to it, he doesn't know why she is doing all this and she tells him, "You got all your red carpet photos, right".
Luke drops Will from his label which was he was told to so by Gabriella. Markus signs with Highway 65.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:54 am

I think the music standard in "Nashville" dropped ever since T Bone Burnette gave up duties as music director.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:52 pm

Moshe wrote:I think the music standard in "Nashville" dropped ever since T Bone Burnette gave up duties as music director.

There were some tremendous tracks on the earlier releases especially Vol 1 & 2.
They really were WOW! moments watching the shows and better than 90% of the country crud on American country radio.
I think a lot of UK country radio stations missed a trick by not playing tracks on a regular basis.
I think UK country radio have been serviced with the Season 4 Vol 1 CD disc but heard very little from it.

These 2 tracks I play over and over from Season 3, absolutely wonderful and terrific songwriters behind them!

The Music of Nashville: Original Soundtrack Season 3, Vol. 1
Hayden Panettie Disappear Jaida Dreyer / Cory Mayo / Steve Pasch / Andrew Rollins

The Music of Nashville: Season 3, Vol. 2
Laura Benanti Sad Song Matraca Berg / Ashley Monroe
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:51 pm

Well, that was an emotional rollercoaster. First time (for me) that Scarlet has been a sympathetic character. And while some of us expected Rayna's eldest daughter to provide drama, it was the little girl got in a fight at school.

Here's a question though: why is Teddy still in jail? First offense and a non-violent crime, he should have made bail ages ago.
lo&m

Postby Moshe » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:31 am

lo&m wrote:Well, that was an emotional rollercoaster. First time (for me) that Scarlet has been a sympathetic character. And while some of us expected Rayna's eldest daughter to provide drama, it was the little girl got in a fight at school.

Here's a question though: why is Teddy still in jail? First offense and a non-violent crime, he should have made bail ages ago.

Yes, a very emotional episode.
I still don't find Scarlet sympathetic. I was with Deacon and I don't see why the decision lay entirely with Scarlet & he can have no input?

As to Teddy, this was the first time I found teddy sympathetic, his time in jail seems to have improved him (except for that awful beard). Nice scene where Rayna thanked him for the years he was a good father & husband & saw the girls reconciled with him. I suppose he is in jail because he is a flight risk.
Luke also showed his human side in his heart to heart with Juliet.
A very good episode!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:19 am

Episode 68 Season 4 No.3 "How Can I Help You Say Goodbye"
first broadcast in America October 7, 2015
For non Sky and Sky Arts subscribers like me here is what happened:

Beverly is not doing well.
Juliette comes back to a room of passed out people, alone.
Daphne has been suspended for getting in a fist fight with another girl. Avery has been calling everyone, and anyone, but he can't find Juliette. Luke and Juliette are on a tour break, and decide to go spend time together. Beverly is now brain dead, with a slim chance of recovery. Deacon wants to keep Beverly on life support, but it is up to Scarlett.
Deacon and Scarlett decide to do a test to see if Beverly can breathe on her own.
Daphne got into a fight because kids are saying that Teddy is a criminal, but she thinks he isn't.
Avery gives Emily Cadence for the day, while he takes care of business.
Luke takes Juliette to a race track and she takes him to a bar.
Will has lunch with Kevin, and his friends.
Rayna wants Teddy to see the kids, as they can not take it anymore. They try to see if Beverly can breathe, but unfortunately she can't, causing Scarlett to break down, and Deacon to freak out, both thinking Beverly is alive.
Avery files for divorce against Juliette.
Avery wants full custody of Cadence, his lawyer says it will be hard, and that Juliette will fight it, but Avery knows she won't. Rayna takes the kids to see Teddy, where Daphne is very happy to see him, but Maddie is not.

Daphne asks Teddy if he really did those things, and he has to tell her he did. She says she hates him, and runs away. Maddie and Daphne are ripping up all the pictures of them with Teddy, as they say he is not their father anymore. At Will and Kevin's lunch party, Will is yelled at for hiding since he came out. Scarlett sings the beautiful opposite of "Black Roses", "Speak To Me". Gunnar shows up and comforts her. Juliette can not stop the crazy partying.
Scarlett tells Gunnar she feels bad that she always hated her mother, and now it is too late.
Kevin tells Will that he could be a good advocate for the gay community, and that he is doing nothing. Emily sees Avery's divorce papers, and tells him that no matter what it looks like, Juliette wanted Cadence, and she wanted Avery, so make no mistake.
Scarlett tells Deacon that she has made the decision to take Beverly off life support, making him extremely upset, because he feels like he killed her. Will tells Kevin he is scared, and doesn't know what to do yet.
Rayna takes the girls to see Teddy again, where she thanks him for being a good person, husband, and dad. Daphne and Maddie forgive him, and hug him. Teddy says he will plead guilty. Avery stops signing the divorce papers, and puts them away. Scarlett says her final words to Beverly, and takes her off life support. Deacon is back home, making Scarlett's room up nice, and breaks down.
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:28 pm

Livewirer, those write ups don't give any idea.
I would suggest if you can't see it now, wait till the DVD or download of season 4 is available, and watch it then.
Reading those bland summaries will just spoil it for you.

Anyway, so much in that episode. We also see a contrast to the Star Nashville to songwriter Nashville with the songwriters as Will's partner's pad. Difference in attitude and everything else.
Also, Juliet Barnes dragging Luke into a wild afternoon out mid-tour!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Next

Return to Worldwide Country Music