ALBUMS OF 2018

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

ALBUMS OF 2018

Postby Moshe » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Please post your favourite albums of 2018 with comments, or comment on my initial selection.
So much great music in 2018, not much of it on mainstream or country radio.
This is my initial selection of some of the albums I have been enjoying most.
INTERSTATE GOSPEL- THE PISTOL ANNIES
Latest offering by this country supergroup made up of Miranda Lambert, Ashley Monroe & Angeleena Presley All songs are penned by the three talented ladies, with some real gems in there. My current favourite tracks are Stop, Drop & Roll one & the highly infectious Got My Name Changed Back. (Check out the hillarious video on you tube).
MR JUKEBOX- JOSHUA HEDLEY
Mr Hedley is a natty dresser (in hillbilly stylee) and his music is similarly old school C&W. The guy has a nice voice & the instrumentation is old scool country, fiddle, steel & so forth. He winds up this amiable collection with his version of the old standard, "When you wish upon a star".
DANCING WITH THE BEAST- GRETCHEN PETERS

Peters first found fame as a hugely successful songwriters, penning hits for many a Nashville star over the years. In the last couple of decades she has concentrated more on developing her profile as an artiste, and has found considerable acclaim in the UK & Europe for both her albums and live performances. Her latest collection is rather dark in tone, reflecting on ihe disturbing & weird situation the US finds its-self in today, Some truly gorgeous songs from the brooding "Lowlands" to the gorgeous "Love that makes a cup of tea". Music for the heart & mind.

ALL THE THINGS I DID & ALL THE THINGS THAT I DIDN'T DO-THE MILK CARTON KIDS
Two guys, great songs and exquisite harmonies that recall Simon & Garfunkel at their best.

CRUZANDO BORDERS- THE TEXMANIACS

From the Spanglish title to the joyous and heartfelt songs, this is several slices of exuberant Tex Mex music at its best. Flaco Jimenez is on board & Rick Trevino pops up to proclaim his identity as Mexican & American. The joyous opener, "Mexico Americano" proclaims the dual identity that no wall could confine.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: ALBUMS OF 2018

Postby Moshe » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:07 pm

Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:10 am

Its been ridiculously fallow for me with regards new music. I have listened to so much new to me music, but very little new this year. Out of this shallow pool, Pistol Annies and Dierks Bentleys new ones. In the new to me pile, a Brent Cobb album, a lot of Bobby Bare and a little more Bobby Bare.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:48 am

I liked four new albums last year:
Pistol Annies - Interstate Gospel
JP Harris - Sometimes dogs bark at nothing
Jay Bragg - Honky Tonk Dream
Cliff Westfall - Baby you win ( a new name to me, but my favourite album of 2018)
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby CRoutes » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:28 am

PeterJD wrote:Its been ridiculously fallow for me with regards new music. I have listened to so much new to me music, but very little new this year. Out of this shallow pool, Pistol Annies and Dierks Bentleys new ones. In the new to me pile, a Brent Cobb album, a lot of Bobby Bare and a little more Bobby Bare.

You make a good point.
Personally I have had enough of the mostly male mainstream fodder that continues to be pushed down our throats from the UK country tastemakers (probably bankrolled by the CMA) and UK country radio shows and stations. I just turn it off or mute it now.

The good stuff does exist but it becomes increasing difficult to find and very time consuming.
I haven't thought about a top 10 for 2018 but maybe point you in the direction of some things.
The Pistol Annies & Joshua Hedley albums started with some fantastic pre-grat singles which I purchased but overall the full albums didn't quite live up to the promise.

Wishing you a Happy and Healthy 2019 ( but you might want to avoid FGL's February release to continue in that vein!)
Visit Country Routes News Blog (News on Indes/ Mainstream/ Charts/ UK News & Live Gig & Concert dates) https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk/
CRoutes

Postby CRoutes » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:33 am

Moshe wrote:Please post your favourite albums of 2018 with comments, or comment on my initial selection.
So much great music in 2018, not much of it on mainstream or country radio.

INTERSTATE GOSPEL- THE PISTOL ANNIES
MR JUKEBOX- JOSHUA HEDLEY
DANCING WITH THE BEAST- GRETCHEN PETERS
IALL THE THINGS I DID & ALL THE THINGS THAT I DIDN'T DO-THE MILK CARTON KIDS
CRUZANDO BORDERS- THE TEXMANIACS

Did you like this top 5 enough to actually own and buy the albums or just consume them a lot.

I bought a lot of digital tracks, EPs but just one physical CD in 2018 (sorry HMV, sign of the times)
Visit Country Routes News Blog (News on Indes/ Mainstream/ Charts/ UK News & Live Gig & Concert dates) https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk/
CRoutes

Postby PeterJD » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:05 pm

I had a different Brent Cobb album album for Christmas, this years Providence Canyon. I bought and have been playing a lot its predecessor Shine On A Rainy Day, but havent enjoyed this new release. Too heavy on the southern rock for me.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Return to Worldwide Country Music