Wolvestock 2014

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Wolvestock 2014

Postby PeterJD » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:32 pm

I was getting a little antsy so emailed wolves civic for details on next years Wolvestock. Seems that a number of changes are a foot. Last year they introduced a charge for admission, this year the significant change is that its likely to be held in Wolverhampton Civic Hall.

This I feel is a poor move, East Park allowed people to camp over, this change of venue will obviously not have any camping facilities, but I expect to see a charge involved too. I did however start speculating that perhaps Wolves Civic may be kicking it up a notch. The venue size, and potentially a larger headline act.

Time will tell, but as for now all I have is that it is likely to be occurring on 26th/27th of July in the Civic.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Re: Wolvestock 2014

Postby PeterJD » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:51 pm

This is the line up, not bad.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:13 pm

The Guardian (pre C2C): " Detwanging country music: how Nashville took the UK Thanks to Taylor Swift, TV show Nashville and Radio 2, country music has never been more popular in Britain"
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/m ... le-radio-2

Wolvestock 2014 Axed: We are sorry to announce that Wolvestock 2014 has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales :!: :?
FULL REFUNDS are available
SOURCES:
http://www.wolvescivic.co.uk/Default.as ... s&i=102651
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014 ... oor-sales/

Bands that were lined up for the 2014 Wolvestock included the Scottish Variety/ Scottish Music/BCMAward winners and C2C act Raintown, BCMAward winners and C2C acts Gary Quinn and Mel & Luke, Lisa Stanley Band, John Taylor Band, The Breeze and Quill Band of Joy etc

What people DID NOT buy into.
Last edited by livewire on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:08 am

livewirer wrote:What people DID NOT buy into.

Did you have tickets??
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:27 am

Its a real pity, I was talking to Jim at C2C, I expressed my disappointment at it being moved to the civic. Its problem is people camp and camping is at east park where as the venue is a couple of miles away.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:52 pm

I've been to Wolvestock, when it was outdoors and free - it was a great festival. The line up this year again was of a high standard - it's a shame that they had to cancel it.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:04 pm

It was a great little festival, used to get absolutely wankered there, outdoor, you could take your own booze, if you smoked, you could smoke when you wanted. If things got a little tiring you could slope back to your van or your tent. It was ace. It was also free.
The issue we have here at the moment is that Wolves council part subsidised it so an entrance fee was bought in last year, and with further cuts in the council if it wasnt likely to make a profit now would be the time to make a decision. They couldnt take a punt on casual visitors, which is unlikely to happen if its in the civic, but would have been more likely at East Park. I feel though, with things as they are with the council, thats the end, sadly, of wolvestock.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby confederate country » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Very sad that Wolvestock is cancelled but for sure Jim will be back with something special. Maybe not free bit in the style, Have a look at Towerfest Guys styled very much on the original Wolvestock and of course outside where you can bring your own boose, go back to the van for a sleep or join in with the fun.
Towerfest Country Music Festival
Drax country music club
confederate country

Postby sophier » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:07 pm

Problem being in the civic is that it made it an expensive weekend. Camping, Admission, Drinks (can't take your own in) - all adds up

Plus half the enjoyment was meeting up with people you havent seen all year (hard to do when all seated event)

I also think with the fact that Wolves Council have to save £123 million and shed 2000 jobs (a third of the workforce) to avoid insolvency, it is understandable that they don't take a risk on a festival. As an ex-worker of the council, if i were still there I wouldn't be happy that my job was at risk whilst they were propping up a music festival... I wouldn't be surprised if the City show and bonfire nights are next..

(plus it didn't help that the poster posted above doesnt feature the date :roll: ........)

Soph
sophier

Newbie Member

Postby lo&m » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Congratulations on your first post, Sophie.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby sophier » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:36 pm

Thanks

(but please call me Soph - Sophie makes it sound like im in trouble with my mother :lol: )

Soph
sophier

Newbie Member

Postby PeterJD » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:34 am

Yes excellent first post.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Soph it is then.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby Boss Lady » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:50 am

Well, it looks like it's been cancelled due to poor ticket sales.
What started as a cracking little festival grew into a really great one but like everything else someone, somewhere got greedy.

Last year they started charging - attendance figures dropped. This year they've moved it into the Civic Centre and put the price up.

Hmmmm! Wonder why the ticket sales are poor.

Yet another knock to the British Country Music scene. :roll:
WHY IT'S JUST L'IL OLE ME !
Boss Lady

Postby sophier » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:44 am

Boss Lady wrote:Well, it looks like it's been cancelled due to poor ticket sales.
What started as a cracking little festival grew into a really great one but like everything else someone, somewhere got greedy.

Last year they started charging - attendance figures dropped. This year they've moved it into the Civic Centre and put the price up.

Hmmmm! Wonder why the ticket sales are poor.

Yet another knock to the British Country Music scene. :roll:

It wasnt due to greed Bosslady - the decision to charge was made due to the cuts being made to the councils budget by central government. This resulted in the council simply not having the money to fund the festival and having to introduce an entrance charge to cover their costs. They have also now introduced booking fees for paying cash over the counter for concerts at the Civic Hall. The actual box office in Queen Square has been closed and moved into the Civic Hall. A third of the workforce losing their jobs (a lot of my ex colleagues, friends and family). The amount of cuts being made by Wolvo council at the moment are scary. Wolvestock was just part of a long list..

You won't find me defending Wolvo council normally but i honestly feel (as a girl who has been every year since it was at Aldersley Stadium) that this is the right decision by the council. They have to put their priorities first.

As for ticket sales being low - i would imagine the main reasons are the ones i keep hearing locally - "i'm not paying for the same thing ive had free for years", "if i have to pay i want a better line up", "too expensive with having to pay for drinks too" and "ive just paid out for tickets for next years C2C at the o2 - this will have to wait".

The common consensus amongst those ive spoken to locally is the maximum they would have been prepared to pay is £2-3 a day(!!!) but i can't imagine this would cover the costs...

Soph
sophier

Newbie Member

Next

Return to Festivals