UK COUNTRY NEWS Updates & Features

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: UK COUNTRY NEWS Updates & Features

Postby Moshe » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:09 pm

The song is pretty much a standard. Ev eryone recorded it back in the day. My favourite version was by Patsy Cline, tho Dolly did a cute version on her "Real Live Dolly" album from back in 1970 recorded in her hometown!
As for the McHugh lady, I have enjoyed some tracks by her, but mostly just adequate covers. Also I don't get the "American" accent from this Scottish/Irish lass.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:33 pm

kev wrote:
CRoutes wrote:
Lisa McHugh releases single 'Y’all Come’ Debut: #2 UK Country iTunes Singles (#369 UK iTunes all-genres), Debut: #1 IRE Country iTunes Singles - BLOG POST

Liza McHugh seems like a nice lady (though we thought she was awful when she supported Gene Watson over here a few years ago) ... Why this cover? Not for me, I'll stick with the original!!

Wonder if she'll record a version of the 'answer' song for her next album?

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby CRoutes » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:22 am

Country Music: A genre where innovation tugs constantly against preservation
kev wrote:Liza McHugh seems like a nice lady (though we thought she was awful when she supported Gene Watson over here a few years ago) ... Why this cover? Not for me, I'll stick with the original!!

I guess Lisa picked at as it's a good number to get the crowd up at her live concerts.
It sold pretty well on iTunes for week easily outselling Ward Thomas' new single (before its Radio 2 playlisting) and other Brit country single releases
I made a point to see her live set at C2C2017 but with technical issues more and more time was eating into their 30 minute slot so just saw one number and left. I'm not sure her style with lots of covers quite fits the C2C market.

Moshe wrote:The song is pretty much a standard. Ev eryone recorded it back in the day. My favourite version was by Patsy Cline, tho Dolly did a cute version on her "Real Live Dolly" album from back in 1970 recorded in her hometown!
As for the McHugh lady, I have enjoyed some tracks by her, but mostly just adequate covers. Also I don't get the "American" accent from this Scottish/Irish lass.

I wasn't aware of the song till I looked it up and found the live Dolly version. Yes speaking with several UK acts who had a natural British accent you wonder if some of them have immersed themselves so much from a young age listening to American recordings that they have taken on the twang and the phrasing. Quite why they use words like mama and papa I don't know. Others try to become templates of US acts. I could list 20 names with "The UK's answer too........". It's false and the reason why Bob Harris refused to play any British country act 1999- 2006 because of a lack of authenticity
Visit Country Routes News Blog (News on Indes/ Mainstream/ Charts/ UK News & Live Gig & Concert dates) https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk/
CRoutes

Postby CRoutes » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:34 am

Released on Friday (3 August) with wishes on social media Northern Irish band The Rising dropped their 13-track album Moving On
It briefly reached #26 on UK Country iTunes (#1210 all-genres) before disappearing off the top 200 a day later.

The Rising are described as a "blend fresh-faced pop/rock with Modern Country stylings fresh from Nashville. The band's style is informed by a wide number of influences. Refusing to be defined by one genre they firmly believe that music is music regardless of what genre tags it happens to have".

"A band that is going a long way" - Keith Greentree :wink:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moving-Rising/dp/B07D5BY3BM
Available for FREE on Spotify (52 mins of your life you'll never get back) - https://open.spotify.com/album/2tgbq0QN ... JgiSEArMfg

I listened to it and wasn't impressed but apparently they have received favourable album reviews from major publications.
Besting The Shires (1 STAR) The Wandering Hearts (1 STAR) & Megan O'Neill (1/2 a star) The Rising have received a ZERO STARS review from Country Music People editor Duncan Warwick! :?
Extract: Record being presented as “country” when they are clearly not – Here’s another! Yep this is a sow’s ear presented as the proverbial silk purse….. they have adopted the let’s throw absolutely everything at this and maybe nobody will actually notice it’s rubbish. ...The Rising? The Lowering more like”
Visit Country Routes News Blog (News on Indes/ Mainstream/ Charts/ UK News & Live Gig & Concert dates) https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk/
CRoutes

Postby kev » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:56 am

CRoutes wrote:Image

Released on Friday (3 August) with wishes on social media Northern Irish band The Rising dropped their 13-track album Moving On
It briefly reached #26 on UK Country iTunes (#1210 all-genres) before disappearing off the top 200 a day later.

The Rising are described as a "blend fresh-faced pop/rock with Modern Country stylings fresh from Nashville. The band's style is informed by a wide number of influences. Refusing to be defined by one genre they firmly believe that music is music regardless of what genre tags it happens to have".

"A band that is going a long way" - Keith Greentree :wink:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moving-Rising/dp/B07D5BY3BM
Available for FREE on Spotify (52 mins of your life you'll never get back) - https://open.spotify.com/album/2tgbq0QN ... JgiSEArMfg

I listened to it and wasn't impressed but apparently they have received favourable album reviews from major publications.
Besting The Shires (1 STAR) The Wandering Hearts (1 STAR) & Megan O'Neill (1/2 a star) The Rising have received a ZERO STARS review from Country Music People editor Duncan Warwick! :?
Extract: Record being presented as “country” when they are clearly not – Here’s another! Yep this is a sow’s ear presented as the proverbial silk purse….. they have adopted the let’s throw absolutely everything at this and maybe nobody will actually notice it’s rubbish. ...The Rising? The Lowering more like”

If only there was some way round having to hear music we don't like! If only there was a button somewhere on our computers, radios, etc., which we could press to turn it off or skip to something else ... I do hope someone invents something like that one day!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:15 am

CRoutes wrote:Country Music: A genre where innovation tugs constantly against preservation
kev wrote:Liza McHugh seems like a nice lady (though we thought she was awful when she supported Gene Watson over here a few years ago) ... Why this cover? Not for me, I'll stick with the original!!

I guess Lisa picked at as it's a good number to get the crowd up at her live concerts.
It sold pretty well on iTunes for week easily outselling Ward Thomas' new single (before its Radio 2 playlisting) and other Brit country single releases
I made a point to see her live set at C2C2017 but with technical issues more and more time was eating into their 30 minute slot so just saw one number and left. I'm not sure her style with lots of covers quite fits the C2C market.

Moshe wrote:The song is pretty much a standard. Ev eryone recorded it back in the day. My favourite version was by Patsy Cline, tho Dolly did a cute version on her "Real Live Dolly" album from back in 1970 recorded in her hometown!

I wasn't aware of the song till I looked it up and found the live Dolly version. Yes speaking with several UK acts who had a natural British accent you wonder if some of them have immersed themselves so much from a young age listening to American recordings that they have taken on the twang and the phrasing. Quite why they use words like mama and papa I don't know. Others try to become templates of US acts. I could list 20 names with "The UK's answer too........". It's false and the reason why Bob Harris refused to play any British country act 1999- 2006 because of a lack of authenticity

Much as I have been disapointed by The Shires & Ward Thomas, what they have going for them is that they do their own material and siong in their own accents. Both acts have put out some quality material, but for me their music has become rather bland. With "Nashville Grey Skies" the Shires defined a British aproach & feel for a uniquely British country music.

Who was that former Eastenders guy who put out a "Cor Blimey Guv'nor It's Country" type of country album at Christmas a couple of years back? That was pretty awful. Shane, I think. I'd rather listen to Liza McHugh
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby CRoutes » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:35 am

kev wrote:If only there was some way round having to hear music we don't like! If only there was a button somewhere on our computers, radios, etc., which we could press to turn it off or skip to something else ... I do hope someone invents something like that one day!

LOL
It's certainly one of the problems listening to UK country radio stations and programmes. It's why I tend not to listen live to avoid hearing music I don't won't to and if available on listen back can skip through.
After hearing the The Rising had some good reviews from major publications I was prepared to give it a chance and whole listen (Their PR were looking for further exposure and possible review). Wasn't impressed and glad to see Duncan Warwick told it like it is rather than sucking up to their expensive PR folks. Gave their live Belfast HMV signings appearance a listen and equally bad. Some mags like Maverick I've heard offer high ratings based on the act placing a paid advert.

I'm tending to use Amazon 30 sec samples to give a quick listen so can decide if want to listen any further. It seems to be the way that website embed Spotify & iTunes tracks have gone in recent months encouraging people to sign up to subscription services to hear tracks in full.
Last edited by CRoutes on Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRoutes

Postby CRoutes » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:46 am

Moshe wrote:Much as I have been disapointed by The Shires & Ward Thomas, what they have going for them is that they do their own material and siong in their own accents. Both acts have put out some quality material, but for me their music has become rather bland. With "Nashville Grey Skies" the Shires defined a British aproach & feel for a uniquely British country music.

Who was that former Eastenders guy who put out a "Cor Blimey Guv'nor It's Country" type of country album at Christmas a couple of years back? That was pretty awful. Shane, I think. I'd rather listen to Liza McHugh

Hi Moshe, Completely agree about The Shires & Ward Thomas singing in natural accents the trouble is they have moved closer and closer to being pure POP.
Ward Thomas’ Restless Minds has a poppier approach than Cartwheels and Catherine says: “We developed our taste and style. We listen to more pop music now. Modern country music has grown more pop-like. “We listen to a lot of Maren Morris and Kacey Musgraves. They are the two leading country girls out there who mix country with pop.” Read more See The Sun article - https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/6 ... lor-swift/

A lot of UK country DJs (including Bob Harris) don't seem to care less about the Pop sound and continue to play them and other UK "country" acts have followed releasing Pop singles. Its dividing opinions in a big way on social media. Don't like the first 2 Ward Thomas singles from RESTLESS MINDS and won't buy The Shires latest album unless it becomes very cheap like the last 2 did. Other UK acts have put out better material but strangely have tiny sales. Hayley McKay being one example. Philippa Hanna's was great and the new Catherine McGrath album is very strong.
CRoutes

Postby Moshe » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:16 pm

CRoutes wrote:
Moshe wrote:Much as I have been disapointed by The Shires & Ward Thomas, what they have going for them is that they do their own material and siong in their own accents. Both acts have put out some quality material, but for me their music has become rather bland. With "Nashville Grey Skies" the Shires defined a British aproach & feel for a uniquely British country music.

Hi Moshe, Completely agree about The Shires & Ward Thomas singing in natural accents the trouble is they have moved closer and closer to being pure POP.
Ward Thomas’ Restless Minds has a poppier approach than Cartwheels and Catherine says: “We developed our taste and style. We listen to more pop music now. Modern country music has grown more pop-like. “We listen to a lot of Maren Morris and Kacey Musgraves. They are the two leading country girls out there who mix country with pop.” Read more See The Sun article - https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/6 ... lor-swift/

A lot of UK country DJs (including Bob Harris) don't seem to care less about the Pop sound and continue to play them and other UK "country" acts have followed releasing Pop singles. Its dividing opinions in a big way on social media. Don't like the first 2 Ward Thomas singles from RESTLESS MINDS and won't buy The Shires latest album unless it becomes very cheap like the last 2 did. Other UK acts have put out better material but strangely have tiny sales. Hayley McKay being one example. Philippa Hanna's was great and the new Catherine McGrath album is very strong.

I always thought Ward Thomas remained more country than The Shires, but the new singles off their forthcomming album sound totally pop and not bat all distinctive. Disapointing.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:01 pm

British singers have been singing in American accents since Tommy Steele and Cliff Richard in the 1950s. I don't see anything wrong with it, to be honest. Very few Brits sing in their own accents anyway - OK, the Proclaimers do, but lots more don't. As for Ward Thomas, does anyone really think this hasn't got a transatlantic twang..........?
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:50 am

Smudger wrote:British singers have been singing in American accents since Tommy Steele and Cliff Richard in the 1950s. I don't see anything wrong with it, to be honest. Very few Brits sing in their own accents anyway - OK, the Proclaimers do, but lots more don't. As for Ward Thomas, does anyone really think this hasn't got a transatlantic twang..........?

Maybe a slight transatlantic twang, but they are not trying to sound like Texans!
For me, this song was always one of their less sadisfactory compositions. The verses are OK, but the "push for the stride" chorous sounds awkward to me.
Apparently it is all about horse riding or horse racing,
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby CRoutes » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 am

GIGS ADDED
Gigs Added: Alan West (Sept), Callaghan (Oct-Nov), Case Hardin (Sept), Clara Bond (Sept), Flats and Sharps (Aug-Sept), Hayley McKay (Sept-Nov), Lisa Stanley (Sept), Twinnie (Sept) - UK Tour Dates Page

Binky releases vivacious new single ‘Get Lost’ - BLOG POST

Exciting Pop band Friends Like These (former Outlander) release their new single "Good Time" - BLOG POST
British Country Music Awards (BCMA) Horizon Act of the Year 2015 Outlander are now FULL on POP! I hope a few more do the decent thing, looking at you Kevin Maguire, Danny McMahnon, Liv Austin, The Shires, Ward Thomas etc.......

Artist Spotlight: Katy Hurt “See Ya Later” - Single Review - BLOG POST

Artist Spotlight: Danny McMahon “Momentarily” - EP Review
We give a listen to Danny McMahon’s latest EP, take a look at the musical journey of the British Country Music Association & UK Country Music Awards 2018 double nominee and investigate how buoyant the country scene actually is in his hometown of Bristol.
- BLOG POST

Vic Allen releases new single Blinded from upcoming album – Single Review - BLOG POST
CRoutes

Postby CRoutes » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:01 am

Artist Spotlight: The UK’s Laura Aston lands a second No.1 with new single ‘Bible Paper Thin’ - BLOG POST

CRoutes

Postby CRoutes » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:47 am

British Country Music Association Awards 2018 Nominees revealed:

The Wandering Hearts lead with 5 nominations, Reaction & Comment, Notable mentions Darcy, Jade Helliwell, Catherine McGrath, Gary Quinn, Danny McMahon, Stevie O'Connor. 3 nominations fall outside the new eligibility rules - BLOG POST

New music from UK’s Holloway Road out now - 'Hang Over Here' (EP drops Sept 14)
The UK's answer to Florida Georgia Line?
- BLOG POST

CRoutes

Postby CRoutes » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:03 pm

UK COUNTRY NEWS
Ferris & Sylvester release video for 'Sometimes', UK Dates in October - BLOG POST

Bournemouth singer-songwriter Helena Mace releases new single “Hometown” to radio (Review) - BLOG POST

CRoutes

PreviousNext

Return to UK Country music